Three Googlers present their 20% project: a port of the Quake II engine to HTML5 using the Google Web Toolkit.
For more information, please visit Quake2-gwt-port.
In the projet page, you read:
In the port, we use WebGL, the Canvas API, HTML 5 elements, the local storage API, and WebSockets to demonstrate the possibilities of pure web applications in modern browsers such as Safari and Chrome.
To make the Jake 2 code work with GWT, we have
- Created a new WebGL based renderer
- Ported the network layer for multiplayer games from UDP to the WebSocket API
- Made all resource loading calls asynchronous
- Created a GWT implementation of Java nio buffers based on WebGL arrays (to be ported to ECMAScript Typed Arrays)
- Implemented a simple file system emulation for saving games and preferences using the Web Storage API